Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Plague & The Great Courses


 Free Great Courses again this week. Glad to have gotten a break from all the proud 💩, I'm not proud. Last time we had this channel for free I'd shut off The Black Death after the first episode in a rage because the woman continuously compared it to CONVID. No comparison, did not buy it. Anyways, I was very down today so picked up with episode two. I'm now on episode four, I think; and so far she has not mentioned CONVID again, but has said some other strange things that has a common sense Plague scholar like myself thinking, (which hasn't been outlawed yet, or has it?) Anyways, first, she questioned what the "P" mark in medieval manuscripts referring to plague deaths meant. She talked about pimples and particulars, but according to Kelly in The Great Mortality, by far my favorite book on the subject, and again in Ken Follett's awesome epic World Without End, they never actually mentioned "plague" until hundreds of years later. The people of The Middle Ages referred to it as The Pestilence, so I'd think P stood for that. She was getting ridiculous again, but she's only an English teacher, like me, not an expert like Fauci, (🤣Arrest Fauci🤣), but she said they thought AIDS came from people eating monkeys. It was monkey business, alright, how about some horse sense that you won't hear about? She wondered about the fleas and rats because the outbreaks were much worse in the summer then would die out in winter, where if the fleas and rats were responsible, then it should have had the opposite effect. I won't knock anybody's sense of wonder, but it makes sense that other insects like mosquitoes and ticks were also responsible for carrying the disease as well as fleas, a lot more sense than the gerbils, (I can't make this stuff up), that she was talking about when I shut her off again. 😂💀😂